Make my day! Send me a swatch! I'm putting together a swatching project and I want your swatches so I can make a patchwork blanket made up of squares sent to me by knitters from all over. You don't need a blog or site to participate - everybody is welcome. Swatches are lightweight and can be sent as a letter so postage will be extremely low. All you have to do is knit a square and send it to me by July 15
. It can be any gauge, any stitch, any brand of yarn, but it does need to have the following characteristics:
1) 6x6 inches in size, after blocking. (If your square doesn't make the required size, you can knit or crochet a border of your choice around it so that it reaches the required size.)
2) Yarn used can be of any brand, but the yarn must be 100% cotton or cotton blend only
. If it's a cotton blend, the percentage of cotton must be 50% or higher.
3) Yarn must be colorfast.
4) Any stitch may be used. It can be lace, ribbed, stockinette, cabled, intarsia or fairisle. Make it as simple or as intricate as you like, provided it is easy to care for and not too delicate.
5) Know how we like to put garter borders around our swatches? This isn't a must here. As you can see from the photo of my own swatch above, I didn't use one. All I ask is that selvedges be included and that the cast-on and bind-off edges be neat.
6) Only one swatch is required, but if you'd like to send more you are welcome. For sewing purposes, I have to set a limit of no more than two or three swatches per person, though. I want to make sure that all knitters who send me a swatch are represented in the blanket.
If you send me a square for this blanket, you will make my day and have star status around here. Remember - everyone is welcome and you do not need a blog or site to send me a swatch! Please let me know
if you'd like to participate and I will reply with an e-mail that contains further details and contact info.
People who have kindly sent swatches (in no particular order; I listed them as I pulled the swatches out of my box, and I will add as they continue to arrive):
Alison H. *
Adrienne M. *
Miro C. *
Sarah Winsor *
Claudia B. *
Laurence G. *
Kerstin G. *
Mary Kaye D. *
Melissa L. *
Donna (this was Donna's first knitted project, ever! Wow! :-))
* Sent more than one swatch, and/or included a special surprise for me. I appreciate it! Merci beaucoup :-)